Tis the season for wind, rain, sleet, and snow. It is important to make sure you are properly covered, but it is even more important that you do your part and are prepared should your home or auto be damaged due to weather. The following are a few important tips that will make your claims experience as pleasant and quick as possible:
- Take pictures of your property and email this to your agent for their file.
- Make a complete inventory of all items in your home and/or business. Be sure to keep your list updated should you need to refer to it at a later time.
- Learn how to report a claim. Does your insurance carrier use:
- An 800 number?
- On Line?
- Direct report to the company?
- Direct report to the Agent?
When a loss happens be sure to protect your family, employees, as well as yourself. Properly protect your property, home, or building using tarps and also remove and relocate all items that might be effected by the damage.
How to Protect Your Property
In light of Hurricane Sandy that is plummeting the Eastern Sea Board, there are several items that if you address before a storm can protect your family, business, and the items you have worked for all your life.
- Make sure your roof, walls, and windows are in good order and are sealed properly to protect your home and/or business.
- Make sure your sump pump is in working order.
- Sand bag if in a low lying area or the threat of flooding exists. Remember, flood damage is excluded on a home or commercial property policy. If you have water damage, call a water extraction contractor at once.
- Keep your generator in good working order.
- Get a reputable contractor to provide an estimate.
Request a Free Quote