Winter weather brings higher risk for damage to your home.
Snow and ice can cause roof damage, turn your sidewalk or driveway into a slippery mess, and even cause flood damage. Prevent damage to your home this winter with these easy maintenance tips.
A frozen pipe that bursts can cause more than $5,000 in damage. Frozen pipes often occur in basements, but buildings built before the 1960s tend to be more susceptible to frozen pipes.
- Prevent frozen pipes by providing a back-up power source that has the capacity to keep the building at a temperature higher than 32 degrees in the event of a power failure.
- Make sure that doors and windows are properly sealed and that the building is properly insulated.
Protect the Roof
Heavy snow loads can cause major damage to buildings. Roof damage can be costly to repair.
- Regularly inspect the roof for leaks or structural issues that may develop in the event of a storm. Make repairs if necessary.
- Be sure that gutters, downspouts, and drains remain clear of ice and debris.
- To safely remove snow, utilize a snow rake with an extension arm that allows you to remove snow while standing on the ground. Or, instead, hire a trained professional who specializes in snow removal.
Prevent Slip and Fall Accidents
As a homeowner, you may be held legally liable for slip and fall accidents that occur on your property. Even if you aren’t expecting visitors, it’s important to remember that postal workers and delivery service employees may need to walk on your property. Keeping sidewalks and driveways clear makes the environment safer for everyone.
- Remove snow and ice from building entrances, sidewalks, and driveways; treat the cleared areas with salt or ice melt to help keep the areas clear.
- Ensure that all outdoor lighting is working properly to keep walking areas well-lit after dark.
- Consider hiring a snow removal contractor to make sure that snow removal is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
About Kincaid Insurance
Finding affordable homeowners insurance in Indiana doesn’t have to be a hassle. Kincaid Insurance offers comprehensive and affordable coverage with flexible payment options available. We’ll work with you so you can focus on living your life while ensuring that everything you’ve worked so hard for remains protected.
You’re always welcome to visit our headquarters in Rockport, Indiana, but you can also fill out our online form to request a call or give us a call toll free at 877-888-5506. Thank you for considering Kincaid for your homeowners insurance needs in Indiana.
Request a Free Quote